In March arTour was delighted to host Queensland Touring Showcase at Redland Performing Arts Centre. With over 130 delegates representing 30 venues/presenting organisations and 37 productions, the event featured pitches, workshops and plenty of healthy conversation about touring in Queensland. Following Showcase, the process was extended with six Roadcase meetings in Emerald, Longreach, Mount Isa, Gympie, Dalby and Charleville.
Along with event partners NARPACA, arTour was pleased to also host representatives from across the sector including Arts Queensland, Arts on Tour NSW, Country Arts SA, Regional Arts Victoria, Theatre Network Australia, and Performing Arts Network of NZ.
We would like to thank Redland City Council for supporting the event and looking after us so generously.
Following the event arTour gathered expression of interest from Queensland presenters for touring work pitched at Showcase. Interest generated from this process indicates that at least 25 productions pitched at Showcase have a strong opportunity to build viable tours for 2018 and 19. arTour also surveyed delegates, here’s a summary of what you told us.
Attendance at Showcase
35% presenters / 48% producers / 16% Industry
Quality and Outcomes
- 100 % of survey respondents rated the event as good or excellent
- 95% rated the quality of the pitches as good or excellent, 91% rated the pitching variety as good or excellent, 82% rated the conversation circles as good or excellent and all producers felt prepared for their pitch / conversation sessions
- 33% met at least 3-5 new people, 35% met 5-9 new people and 20% met 10 or more new people
- You loved the roving mic session and hearing about presenters’ programing plans
- Your most valuable break out sessions: Finding Your Audience: Who they are and how to engage them // What’s the Deal: Negotiating itineraries and presenter fees // Social Media Boot Camp: Maximising your reach
What can we improve
- Producer lounge needs to be refined to make it a more useful tool
- Conversation Circles were valuable but the space was noisy
- You are looking for more ways to meet each other and interact
- You’d like to see more video or performance excerpts included in pitches
Check out the event photos from Queensland Touring Showcase 2017.