An exploration of the Ancient Greek types of love through poetry, rap, Hip Hop and cinematic scores.
Greek-Australian poet and rapper, Luka Lesson, will fire up your heart and imagination with this powerful performance on love and affection, accompanied by cinematic scores and Hip Hop music composed by Sydney Conservatorium of Music’s James Humberstone.
Inspired by his own Greek heritage, Luka’s poignant poetry delves into self-love, erotic love, the love of strangers, the love of deep friendships and the ultimate: Agapi - in this modern exploration of Plato’s The Symposium. This century-hopping journey with the gods will make you fall in love with love all over again.
- Venue Format
- Theatre, Black Box Venue
- Technical Rating
- Touring Party
Tech & lighting setup
- simple and would work in most places.
- lighting operator and sound engineer to be provided by presenter to work alongside our team of tech in each space.
Musicians equipment is electronic and feeds through Abelton on a laptop into the sound desk.
Staging & set
- painted backdrop that hangs at the back of the stage, made from calico
- two musicians and Luka on stage
- Minimal coarse language (couple of swear words)
- Sexual references, we think its suitable for 13 years and up or any age based on parents discretion.
- Created by The Future Ancients
- Creator, Writer, Co-Director, Lead Performer Luka Lesson (QLD/ lives in NSW)
- Executive Producer Vyvienne Abla (NSW)
- Co-Director Sam Foster (QLD)
- Composer James Humberstone (NSW)
- Musician & Vocalist Greta Kelly (QLD)
- Musician & Vocalist Ella Fence (QLD)
- Originally Commissioned by La Boite Theatre + Bleach*
Bios & photos of team: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Go2c_qM11tFN6pmeHkzZsLX50pEtJYBJ?usp=sharing
Vyva Entertainment (VE) educates and empowers individuals through the use of music and its culture. Based in Sydney, VE has been working within the music and creative industries for over 14 years, both locally and internationally producing events and programs, as well as, consulting, career development and housing its avant-garde artist roster.
We specialises in working with diverse voices and activists to amplify necessary and authentic local and global narratives in a medium and dialogue that’s honest and unapologetic.
Vyva Entertainment acts as a meeting ground, a space where education, community and industry meet, creating unique opportunities for industry, creatives and young people to thrive and most importantly, be themselves.
SERVICES Artist & Tour Management | Event & Project Management Consulting | Youth Engagement | Training & Education + more.
- Company Website
Unique Selling Point
This production brings musicians and audience members together in an immersive, theatrical exploration of love that develops their appreciation for the themes of Plato’s Symposium. It draws on both contemporary poetry and rap and traditional forms of world music. Creative direction and staging, moments of powerful audience interaction and dramatic lighting design combine to deliver a moving and highly engaging show.
- digital assets
- photoshoot with cast
- designed backdrop can also be used in collateral
- series of promo videos and music
- education packaging including a series of workshops, talks and material that can be used by teachers
- profile of artist and people involved in the project
Anyone from the touring party will be available for:
- The touring party have experience engaging with community and youth, and the artists regularly run workshops in schools.
Luka Lesson also has works included within the Australian Curriculum. Sample of workshops by Luka include:
- Make Your Myth
- The 10 Line Formula
- Portrait Poem
- Social Issues Poetry
- Stream of Consciousness
- 'Found' Hybrid Poetry
- More info in our presenter pack and here: http://www.lukalesson.com.au/education
- if there are particular students or emerging artists/practitioners where we are touring, there may also be the opportunity to shadow our core touring team and assist behind the scenes or attend rehearsals, depending on the role they'd like to gain knowledge and experience in.