The adult gap-year you never knew you needed.
Fast, frivolous and continuously flashing, the always-awake playground of a tourist mecca in Bangkok paints the scene for Neon Tiger; a roaring new Australian play with songs.
Andy is an Australian traveller outrunning her broken heart. She has taken residence as a host at a Bangkok party-district karaoke bar where she meets Thai-American Arisa, who’s on a personal quest to connect with her mother’s culture. When the two meet, sparks fly.
Three of Australia’s boldest voices, Gillian Cosgriff, Kat Henry and Julia-Rose Lewis unleash Neon Tiger; a wild love story set to the beat of Bangkok’s back alleys and go-go bars.
- Venue Format
- Theatre, Black Box Venue
- Technical Rating
- Touring Party
Neon Tiger will premiere at La Boite Theatre in November 2019. We will have full tech specs, and archival and promotional images available immediately after this season. At this stage we anticipate the work will tour easily.
La Boite is a story of people, passion, purpose and place. We hold a unique place in the hearts and minds of artists and audiences in Brisbane. For the past nine decades La Boite has represented the adventurous and alternative. There has always been a strong focus on the development of new work and artists, and today it is no different.
The stories, ideas and voices of our city and country are many and varied and as such La Boite seeks to represent and engage in this beautiful and rich diversity; the diversity of form, of ideas, ethnicity, gender – of identity.
Theatre has the capacity to embrace difference in so many ways. At La Boite, we push the boundaries of form by collaborating with some extraordinary partners to stretch the boundaries of theatre practice in Australia.
- Company Website
Unique Selling Point
- The work is a two-hander! La Boite will work closely with the project Designer to make sure that the set is tourable;
- New Australian writing from Queensland's own Julia-Rose Lewis;
- A queer, interracial love story;
- Contemporary story-telling with song - very accessible, a fun night at the theatre;
- Songs/music by Australian comedienne Gillian Cosgriff;
- It'll appear to a diverse audience - young people, young women, LGBTIQ audiences, musical theatre loving folk, culture vultures, Asian-Australian audiences etc
- Lead artists are all women - the work is co-created by writer Julia-Rose Lewis, musician and composer Gillian Cosgriff and director Kat Henry.
Marketing collateral will be available post the premiere season at La Boite in November 2018. This will include marketing copy, poster and flyer templates, trailer and other digital assets, production photography. Reviews will also be available at this time.
Any presenters who would like to attend the La Boite season should contact Executive Director, Katherine Hoepper or Creative Producer, Sanja Simic.
Community engagement activities will be developed to support the tour, and the communities we are touring to. This may include workshops for students or general public and Q&A sessions with the cast post-performance.