Celebrate the grit and daring of Australian women
Australia breeds its women tough – and adventurous.
Intrepid performers Roxanne McDonald and Barbara Lowing – two of Queensland’s best-loved actors – navigate risky terrain as they journey through the heart lines of their own lives and into the hilarious misadventures of the women who made them who they are today.
Directed by Caroline Dunphy, Rovers is a new comedy-drama celebrating the grit and daring of women trailblazers, including Barbara Toy (Lowing's great Aunt), who crossed deserts and warzones in her trusty Land Rover, Pollyanna.
Woven from true stories and wild machinations, this rough and tumble adventure will resonate with audiences of all ages. Join Barbara Lowing as she shares outrageous family tales of her namesake alongside Roxanne McDonald who will share her own stories and history as a strong proud Aboriginal woman.
Rovers is a story 21 years in the making...
In 1996 our leading ladies shared champagne and oysters at Uluru... A lot has happened to Barb & Roxy since then... Rovers draws on their lives (and the lives of women in their families) to celebrate Australian women who’ve dared to follow their dreams or tread their own path.
- Venue Format
- Theatre, Hall, Black Box Venue
- Technical Rating
- Touring Party
• Rovers is a 2-hander show designed to tour • The touring party consists of four (4) people. • Set, lighting, sound & AV are designed to be flexible and scalable depending on facilities available. • Actors Barabara Lowing & Roxanne McDonald can hold (and fill) a main-stage theatre space as well as deliver a beautifully intimate performance in smaller or less traditional performance spaces.
Writer: Katherine Lyall-Watson | Director: Caroline Dunphy | Starring: Roxanne McDonald and Barbara Lowing | Vocal Artist: Kirk Page | Composer & Sound Designer: Dane Alexander | Lighting Designer: Christine Felmingham | Set Design: Jonathan Shankey & Caroline Dunphy | Costume Design: Oscar Hannah Clark | Cultural Consultant: Nadine McDonald-Dowd | Dramaturg: Kathryn Kelly | Producer: Danielle Shankey | Sound Design Intern: Isabella Hall | Technical Manager: Jeremy Gordon | Production Manager: Peter Cossar
Belloo Creative is an all-female, award-winning independent theatre company that produces original contemporary cross-cultural works. Founded in 2013, Belloo explores new ways of firing the imagination and connecting stories with the human body.
Belloo is four women with decades of experience: Caroline Dunphy (co-artistic director and performer); Katherine Lyall-Watson (co-artistic director and writer); Kathryn Kelly (dramaturg); and Danielle Shankey (general manager and producer).
Belloo is committed to developing partnerships to present works nationally and internationally. The company has co-produced work with NORPA, Brisbane Festival, Queensland Theatre, Brisbane Powerhouse and Critical Stages and toured to Queensland, New South Wales and Canberra.
We value cross-cultural collaboration, risk-taking and rigorous process. We seek out partnerships, growing them into powerful relationships.
Our newest work Rovers will premiere at NORPA in 2018. Rovers is a contemporary comedy-drama celebrating the grit and daring of Australian women.
Other works in repertoire SAND is a new dance theatre work co-produced by Belloo, NORPA and Idiot Savant (Japan), which will premiere in 2019. This contemporary cross-cultural work explores how bodies relate with one another in the resistance and shifting nature of sand.
HANAKO premiered at Brisbane Festival in 2016 and is currently part of Critical Stages’ slate for 2019 touring.
- Company Website
Unique Selling Point
All-female, award-winning Belloo Creative presents Rovers.
Rovers is a laugh-out-loud drama by Katherine Lyall-Watson, co-created and directed by Caroline Dunphy.
It's a contemporary comedy-drama starring two of Queensland's best-loved actors - Barbara Lowing & Roxanne McDonald.
Lyall-Watson interviewed Lowing and McDonald to gather inspiration for this play. Both actors worked on the floor with Dunphy and Lyall-Watson to carve out the stories and action that have inspired Rovers.
Rovers celebrates Lowing & McDonald as they grab the wheel and take centre stage!
Woven from true stories and wild machinations, Rovers celebrates women trailblazers through the rough and tumble of multiple stories and characters.
Rovers will premiere at NORPA (Lismore) in August 2018 before travelling onto QLD premiere seasons in Maleny & as part of the 2018 Brisbane Festival.
MARKETING MATERIALS • Media Release • National Publicity Material (poster / flyer template with hero image) • Production Photography • Trailer (tbc)
CONTENT WARNINGS: Suitable for 14 years +
TEACHER’S RESOURCES: Teacher’s Notes / Resources available upon request
AWARDS • Best Independent Production – Motherland 2013 (Matilda Award) • Best Production – Motherland 2013 (Groundling Award) • MOTHERLAND AWARDS: 2 Matilda Awards; 7 Matilda Award Nominations; Patrick White (finalist).
Barbara Lowing: • Gold Matilda Award – Best Actress (Matilda Award 2007 & 2013)
Roxanne McDonald: • Matilda Commendation 1999 • ACPA Award for her contribution to the Arts
A comprehensive Marketing Kit is available.
Rovers aligns to / complements: • International Women’s Week (March) • Mother’s Day (May) • NAIDOC Week (July) • QLD Senior’s Week (August) • International Day of Rural Women (October)
Audience Development activities: • Artist Q&A (Pre / Post show) • Acting workshops (high school students / teachers / university students / adults) • Teachers’ notes • Yarning circle • Land Rover Club Direct Mail / eDM campaign and club 'meet' event planning
Target Audiences / Community Engagement:
• Theatre / Drama Audiences: Rovers is a great night out for theatre lovers who appreciate Original Australian contemporary theatre & a comedy-drama that draws on real-life characters and/ stories.
• Food Lovers: Champagne and oysters feature in the narrative. Rovers offers the opportunity to leverage sponsorship with related companies &/ dining experiences.
• Australian feminist & indigenous history: The work is written and produced by an all-female company. Rovers was written to provide sustainable employment opportunities for our country’s seasoned & critically acclaimed senior female actors. Leverage with a post show Q&A focused on issues facing women in your local community.
• Inclusive Arts Experience: Rovers is a cross-cultural collaboration. Belloo can support venues to co-design cultural appropriate engagements for their community.
• Accessible initiatives: all-ages, all-abilities tactile set tour / AUSLAN signed performance