You’re invited into a giant green boat to help our loveable couple cast off on a magical adventure.
This reimagining of Edward Lear’s beloved childhood poem is an enchanting, intimate and high quality musical experience. Inside a giant pea green boat and immersive landscape, this charming children’s work melds live performance, operatic vocals, chamber music, puppetry and experiential theatre. Created specifically for children 4-10 years, this interactive journey inspires, educates and enthrals by inviting children, alongside their families, carers and teachers, to participate in multi-sensory ways to help our loveable couple go on a magical adventure.
Designed for outdoor festival locations and adaptable to theatre spaces (black box and proscenium stage), audiences are invited aboard Old Pea Green for a 45-minute performance, in an intimate setting created with floor-level staging and cushion/stool seating. Audience members are integrated into the action with interactive theatrical devices, designed to spark imaginative thought with strong tactile and aural stimulation. The cast consists of 3 singers, soprano, mezzo-soprano and baritone, and a Puffin troupe of cello, clarinet/bass clarinet and vibraphone/percussion.
This national collaboration of female creatives have created a landmark musical work for children brimming with engaging new music and a whimsical script that explores the universal themes of love, harmony and acceptance.
- Venue Format
- Theatre, Hall, Black Box Venue, Outdoor
- Technical Rating
- Touring Party
- Outdoor: 1 day bump-in, opening 2nd day (1st show preferably after 2pm)
- In a theatre space: Same day open (1st show after 4pm)
- Can perform up to 3 shows a day
- The show is intimate, so capacity is limited
- The mode and capacity is flexible, depending on venue
- The show can be presented indoors or outdoors
- Black-box venues with removable seating banks / no seating banks are ideal
- The show tours with full technical equipment
- The show requires 3-phase power for outdoor venues
- Outdoor: Venue 18m x 9m min preferred - the footprint is large
- Can perform up to three shows per day but no more than two three-show days consecutively
- When outdoors, the stretch tent needs to be secured with either long tent pegs or heavy weights
- It is possible for the venue to be used for other activities during festival seasons
Little Match Productions is an independent Brisbane-based company that creates contemporary musical performance works that traverse comedy-cabaret, opera, classical music and children’s theatre. The company is passionate about exploring our collective humanity via its most primal and intrinsically expressive media - the voice. Over the past six years, Artistic Director Alicia Cush, Creative Producer Bethan Ellsmore & Designer Penny Challen have developed a reputation for their unique ability to present classical vocal techniques in innovative contemporary contexts.
Creating The Owl and the Pussycat and works for the cabaret group Babushka, operatic ensemble Belladiva, and cabaret artist Bethan Ellsmore, Little Match Productions has a focus on creating roles, collaborations and opportunities for female artists and arts professionals. Their works fuse opera, classical, cabaret and pop in theatrical musical experiences that combine arresting and original musical arrangements, vocal acrobatics and compelling storytelling.
Over the past four years, the collective has produced work for Queensland Cabaret Festival, Wonderland Festival, Adelaide Fringe Festival, Anywhere Theatre Festival and Brisbane Fringe Festival and presented at Brisbane Festival, Queensland Music Festival, Brisbane Cabaret Festival, Woodford Folk Festival and Noosa Long Weekend.
- Company Website
Unique Selling Point
- The set is the venue - The audience sits inside the giant pea green boat
- It’s intimate - The performance mode is immersive and undeniably engaging for young audiences
- It’s interactive - It’s experiential and uses strong tactile and aural stimulation
- It’s art music made accessible - The script and score are of the highest integrity and quality
- The musical ensemble is a unique combination of vibraphone/percussion, clarinet/bass clarinet and cello, and they are characters (musical puffins), integrated into the action.
- It's a truly different page-to-stage work
- It appeals to adults and children alike
- It's based on cross-generational literature
The Producer will be providing a new marketing pack format from 2017 for all productions. This will include collateral for multi-channel use and represents a full marketing strategy. This includes full media kit, social media materials, print templates, gifs, MRECs, video content, images and public relations materials. There will be customisable content, content creation assistance for presenters and a suggested schedule for implementation.
- Educational pack - See Community Engagement
- Merchandise - Including colour print T-shirts, Colour-Me-In T-shirts, Fidget pea-pod keyrings, tattoos, art prints, and a high-quality illustrated children’s book that includes music from the show, illustrated by Penny Challen.
The Producer is enthusiastic to engage in discussion with each potential Presenter to find ways to meaningfully engage with distinct audiences and find layered connections with each community. There is a desire to tailor-make activities and opportunities to maximise relationships outside of traditional spheres. Workshop - Boat-making with The Owl and the Pussycat - A flexible origami workshop suitable for all ages, making pea green boats and various animals to place aboard. Additional creative activities for older children.
- An educators resource will be created to highlight important connections to the Early Learning Framework and National Curriculum. Reading the poem, attending the performance and engaging in complementary classroom activities that respond to these experiences provide a range educational benefits for early years and primary students.
- We are also looking at ways in which the work can connect with children’s literature at local libraries/bookstores through storybook activities.