Call forth the tempest!
Shipwrecked on the island, audiences will be surrounded by magic, monsters and mischief! Guided by Ariel, a spirit of the island, witness a poetic and provocative retelling of Shakespeare's final play, as Prospero, former Duke of Milan seeks revenge on those who exiled him 12 years ago. Boasting original live music and Zen Zen Zo's signature explosive physical and visual storytelling, experience an immersive night like no other!
Directed by Zen Zen Zo's Artistic Director, Lynne Bradley.
- Venue Format
- Theatre, Hall, Black Box Venue
- Technical Rating
- Touring Party
- Set, lighting, sound & AV are designed to be flexible and scalable depending on facilities available.
- Suitable for audiences 14+ (some adult content).
- We may require access to external spaces e.g. foyers to create a more immersive experience for audiences.
ZEN ZEN ZO, founded in 1992 by Lynne Bradley and Simon Woods, is a Brisbane-based physical theatre company at the forefront of contemporary performance and training. Zen Zen Zo’s PERFORMANCE COMPANY has produced 27 years of potent, visceral theatre for local, national and international audiences. The company’s TRAINING CENTRE also offers a suite of internationally renowned actor-training programs which cater to professional performers, teachers, students, young people, and anyone with a sense of adventure! These include: The Actor’s Dojo (Weekly Physical Theatre Training & Acting Classes), Stomp Intensives (Stomping Ground, Perth Stomp, New Zealand Stomp), Schools Program (Workshops & Artists-in-Residence Programs).
- Company Website
Unique Selling Point
- Zen Zen Zo's THE TEMPEST is an immersive, highly entertaining experience for audiences, featuring original live music by Queensland's chanteuse extraordinaire, Emma Dean.
- Zen Zen Zo's THE TEMPEST is on both the QLD and WA senior Drama and English curriculums as a required text (high demand from schools to tour!).
- Our 2009 production was nominated for 3 Matilda Awards Best Independent Production, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor) - winning Best Independent Production.
- Zen Zen Zo's work has been commissioned by major festivals (including the 2018 Commonwealth Games), been published by Playlab, toured both nationally and internationally and been acclaimed by both audiences and critics.
Marketing assistance includes:
- Media Releases & Reviews
- High quality production and promotional photos & video
- Cinematic trailer by award-winning cinematographer Simon Woods
- Published Script (Digital and Hardcopy) via Playlab
- Teachers Notes
- Social media content, including 'Behind the Scenes'
- Template design for posters, flyers and programs (printing incurs additional charge)
- Support developing and organising publicity opportunities
- Promotion through Zen Zen Zo's marketing channels
Zen Zen Zo have decades of experience delivering workshops across ages and skill levels - in areas including physical theatre, contemporary performance, devised theatre, site-specific theatre (activating non-traditional and traditional performance spaces, which can lead to exciting new collaborations with local businesses), producing, directing and interdisciplinary theatre. Workshops can be catered to suit the needs of most communities, and can be offered in association with the touring production of Zen Zen Zo's THE TEMPEST. These workshops can range from 1 hr to 1 day.
In addition to workshops, Zen Zen Zo offers residencies -suitable for schools, community groups or venues. Zen Zen Zo has devised and directed over 50 school projects, and over 30 main stage productions since 1992. Residencies can have public performative outcomes, and allow for deeper community engagement, with artist engagement ranging from 1 day to 1 month.
Zen Zen Zo's workshops and residencies upskill and empower, leaving a lasting legacy.