Cultural Tourism is defined as “travel directed toward an engaged and authentic experience, with participative learning in the arts, heritage, or special character of a place, and it provides a connection with those who reside in this place and create this living culture” by UNESCO.
The movement towards Cultural Tourism is a key opportunity for regional communities looking to promote events and value add by expanding tourism dollars spent in your town.
Early in June arTour attended an Arts Queensland and Tourism and Events Queensland seminar on Cultural Tourism, here are some useful tips from the presentation
- Register on Australian Tourism Data Warehouse
- Develop a quality website (individual or group)
- Create online community via social media (facebook, instragram)
- Partner together (cluster) to sell your products/experiences;
- Package with others
- Develop a family of brochures or themed publications
- Quality imagery which captures the visitor experience
- Support & leverage regional marketing campaigns
- Enter cultural, heritage or tourism awards to increase exposure
- Connect with Visitor Information Centre for event cross promotion