Are you wondering what to pack for tour? The below list may help you decide what to take and what you can leave behind. Remember travelling light is always best, but a few items to make a hotel room feel like home can make all the difference on a long tour.
As responsible tour coordinators, arTour recommends taking the following items when you go on tour:
- Tour pack in hard copy and electronic copy
- GPS unit and/or road maps
- Small first aid kit (including any medications and/or scripts)
- Wireless internet dongle, or extra data on your smartphone (you may also want to double check your mobile carrier will have coverage at each location on tour and in between!)
arTour’s network of seasoned tourers have also suggested a few other tips to help you on the road:
- Always check the weather forecast and be prepared for hot, cold, wet or dry days. Consider if you will have time and access to laundry facilities. Avoid items that need hand washing or can’t go in the dryer. Ideally you want clothes that you can wear a few times in between washing.
- Bring a laundry bag to keep your clean and dirty clothes separated.
- When living out of a suitcase, some people also find travel cubes a great way to keep their suitcase organised.
- Ziplock bags are great for laundry, toiletries, food … everything.
- Your own pillow (and a neck pillow if you are doing lots of bus or plane journeys)
- Luggage scales if you will have several plane flights and luggage weight can be a concern
- A power board in case there are not enough power points in the motel room
- An extra long phone charger in case the power points are not in a convenient location
- Portable bluetooth / wifi speakers so you can listen to your own music in your room after a long day of work
- HDMI adaptor so you can use the motel TV as a monitor
- Spare chargers for your devices (phone / tablet etc)
- Noise cancelling headphones
- Roadtrip music on your portable device for when you are out of radio reception
In the kitchen
- Portable coffee maker
- Tea bags
- A sharp kitchen knife
- Chopping board
- Utility spork
- Collapsible container
- Salt & Pepper sachets
- Travel corkscrew
- Water bottle with inbuilt filter
- Garlic press
- Tabasco sauce