How can presenters find out what the community wants and therefore ensure a successful outcome?
One easy way is to conduct a survey. This could include
- Simply asking people - "What type of show/entertainment/workshop would you like to see come to town?" "Would you come to see "XYZ" ?
- Sending out a survey or contacting people through email, phone text, Face book or Twitter
- Distributing surveys throughout the community - in the library, post office, local store, school, gallery etc
- Consulting with any arts groups in your community
- Ask other community organisations for feedback - local service, sporting or social groups and committees. Their enthusiasm and support this will be invaluable through inexpensive "word of mouth" promotion and an increase in group bookings.
- Check with the local radio station. They regularly survey the community, know their likes and dislikes and are often willing to give "in kind" support.
- Ask the "movers and shakers" and those with influence in your community. They usually have many contacts and can help promote and "sell" a show for you.